Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Colorado Adoption Project

Hey,

I found the Chapter 13 caption regarding the Colorado Adoption Project very interesting. So, I looked it up and did about 30 mins of research on the basis of the study and found some interesting facts. Apparently, the department of Behavioral Genetics at Colorado University studied how closely adopted children resemble their parents in relation to non-adopted children. If you want to read up on it more, check out the website: http://ibgwww.colorado.edu/cap/history.html

-Nishant

4 comments:

Minerva said...

Wow! I think the results of that study are extremely counter-intuitive. You would think that an adopted child would resemble their biological parents in everything related to their physical/mental attributes. It would seem that everything else would be absorbed from their surrounding environment...

I wonder how that works neurologically...

aravind said...

That is a really cool study. It is interesting to see the effects of adoption on a child's upbringing. Like Minerva said, the results are a lot different than what I expected. It would be interesting to see different studies examining possible neurolical causes for this behavior. Thanks for the interesting link Nishant.

Rachel said...

I also think this is very bizarre! I've always learned that people are mostly shaped by their environment, so I would think that a child's perception of the world would become more closely aligned with their parents' perception as the child got older. But apparently this does not happen! Could this "schism" between the cognitive processes of the parent and child be a result of a rebellious kid, trying to stray away from his parents?

Taylor said...

Wow!! Awesome link. I'm adopted and have often wondered what I actually inherited from my biological parents and what I picked up from my adoptive parents. Another point I think is important to consider is that the very idea and knowledge of BEING adopted can affect the adopted child psychologically which, in response to one of Deep's earlier comments, can lead to neurological changes.