Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Body Worlds

Someone mentioned Body Worlds today in class. I just wanted to post about it because I saw the exhibit in Chicago and thought it was a great experience. The exhibit gives great scientific background and allows you to see the human body in ways not previously possible. I would recommend it to anyone interested in medicine, physiology, and the human brain. However, you should avoid looking at the pictures from the exhibit if you are sensitive to graphic images of the body - some people find these displays to be very disturbing.

Here is a link to the exhibitions. You can also check out the process by which the bodies are preserved (plastination).
http://www.bodyworlds.com/en/exhibitions/current_exhibitions.html

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Raven, thanks for following up on this! I had heard about it before but I haven't seen it in person. It looks like it's going to be in San Jose in late September through late January, so I'm definitely going to check it out!

Janice said...

I visited the Body Worlds exhibit in LA and I thought it was one of the coolest things I have ever seen. I would really recommend trying to go to one if you can. It's informative, but many parts of the exhibit actually resembled art to me. This isn't just for people interested in medicine or psychology, either. If you are into visual art I would recommend going and bringing along a sketchpad. I saw plenty of artists in there --it's a fascinating way to study the human body and anatomy.

L.D. Crow said...

I'm glad people are willing to donate their bodies to science but I think it might be a little gruesome to look at

Navillus said...

You would think it would be gruesome but actually it's quite interesting. I was a skeptic at first and my girlfriend made me take her. I'd have to say it was one of the most interesting exhibits I've ever seen. Definitely worth overcoming the skepticism you won't regret it

nicolette said...

i wish i could have gone to that. i think its a great exhibit, but unfortunetly, my family wasnt to excited about it. do you know where some more exhibits are by any chance (i first saw it in las vegas).

Ashley Bender said...

this was one of the most interesting things that i have ever seen in a museum. I saw it in LA as well. It was very interesting; even my 9 year old sister loved the exhibit. It definitely showed all aspects of the human being, but the part that i thought pertained most to this class was the part where only the neurons in the brain were shown. It showed the way all the neurons in the brain are connected, and it made the neuron network we talked about in class very obvious.