Sunday, July 1, 2007

More "change detection" videos

There is actually a multitude of change detection videos on the internet.
I found this video on Youtube, and it is pretty interesting (although unfortunately there aren't any dancing gorillas in it). I have shown it to some of my friends and none of them could describe any specific changes; although, a few of them said "something looks different".

Also, I found many videos on this website that features work by Daniel J. Simons. In the "changes across cuts in a motion picture", there are 9 intentional changes, but even after I watched it at least 5 times, I had trouble finding all of them. I believe the changes in that video were not obvious enough. Anyways, I just wanted to point out all of these videos for people who are fascinated by change detection.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I watched the YouTube video and like some of your friends, I didn't notice ANY of the changes! I realized I was so fixated on the card trick that I didn't notice anything else changed. It was great how they showed how they made the changes behind the scenes (I won't spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it yet!) If you watch that or the other Simons video, let us know your experience!

Navillus said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Navillus said...

I admit I did notice that the background had changed but seeing as that is the largest object in the video and that was the last change I’m not sure how spectacular that is. This video says a lot about selective attention and how everything in our world might be changing and if we aren’t watching for it we won’t even notice. I showed two of my dorm-mates and they were blown away that they didn’t notice it at all.

L.D. Crow said...

i was focused on the cards and didnt notice the other color changes.surprising

L.D. Crow said...

i was focused on the cards and didnt notice the other color changes.surprising