Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Language- Koko the gorilla

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Po2JGdx9WBI

This is a really bad video example of Koko but it was the only one that would show up on the search. Anyway, today we talked about language, and when the topic of language with the chimp, Kanzi, was brought up it reminded me of a video I saw on the discovery channel. Koko was brought up by a woman and Koko communicates through sign language. I can't remember if the woman used sign language as well but I thought it was amazing how well Koko and this woman were able to communicate with each other. Koko was able to express sadness, anger, and happiness through body language. If anyone can find a full video on Koko, I'd appreciate it. It's easier to watch the video versus me describing it in words.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

There's a PBS video (from the "Nature" show series) called "A Conversation With Koko", but online there's only a 30-second clip available:

http://media.pbs.org/ramgen/wnet/
nature/koko/koko.rm

L.D. Crow said...

I thought Koko was great to watch. Can you imagine trying to raise a wild animal--Shes really devoted to her job