Wednesday, July 18, 2007

False memories and brain activation

During the discussion on false memories today, I had the thought of posting this article for you guys on differential brain activation for "true" vs. "false" memories. It might be helpful in terms of mapping what's happening in the brain during recollection of these two types of memories.

Here are two links for more information:

Short news-digest version

Journal article version (which includes fMRI scans)

Also, here's an NPR segment that you can listen to -- it includes an interview with a researcher that studies the creation of "real-life" false memories and what's happening in the brain as that happens.

1 comment:

Navillus said...

First off I love NPR and am overjoyed for being able to listen while being away from my radio. I actually remember this interview and it really interested me. I thought I read that if the parietal lobe was activated during false memories and the temporal lobe during true memories? I think I remember reading that in the textbook. My question is should the judicial system of our courts take these findings into account? We can "fill in" the wrong situations with maybe television or movies?