Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Response to IQ Article

I'm very surprised that you mentioned the family IQ article, mainly because I remember reading the same article in the NY Times a week or two ago. I both agreed and disagreed with what Carey, the article author, was arguing. Firstly, I disagree in that I don't necessarily feel that the elder sibling has a greater capacity to succeed than his/her siblings. While the elder sibling may be smarter, I definitely don't feel that they are more confident as growing kids. I agree, though, that the elder sibling has an intellectual edge over the other children because of the parental tendency to focus more energy on the grown child. Anyway, I just thought that I'd offer my opinion of the article and I'm looking forward to a great summer!

Nishant

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I finally got to read the article myself last night. Is an average of 3 IQ points anything to get excited over? I'm not so sure. But it does bring up interesting issues of child-rearing environment and things like that. I also do see merit in the eldest-child-as-teacher point. All this said, I'm speaking from the perspective of being an only child :-)